Monday, August 26, 2013

Autumn Nostalgia Returns

The beginning of the school year always gets me nostalgic for my old D&D days - playing for hours and having the time of my life. I've been looking back at past campaigns and binders full of gaming materials just sitting there on shelves, hopeful but neglected. I don't know why I keep all this stuff; it's fairly obvious that I'm probably not going to run any of it again. My current campaign in AD&D has been running for about 13 years now and has generated two full binders of material with a third in development.

Should I scrap the lot of it or try to preserve it for some possible future return?

Most of the binders hold reworked versions of rules or modules converted from one edition to another. My Harn campaign from back in the 1990s hasn't been touched in decades - literally! All the materials I bought for that game sit in binders on my shelves. All the 3rd edition D&D books (which take up an entire small bookcase) sit idle and stare at me while I play World of Warcraft or work on my AD&D material. I'm not really sure what will happen when AD&D ends - will I simply give up on human interaction altogether? Computer games are grabbing my attention more and more now and keeping me from all the things I have to get done. But these are a poor substitute for a game that allows you to do anything you want. Scripted adventures are OK the first go around, but there is very little fun in repeating the same quests over and over. And I suck at pvp games.

So I keep looking back at all the stuff I have and wondering what the hell to do with it and the rest of my existence. I still have no permanent home to call my own, no family to raise, nothing to look forward to each morning, and a soul-sucking job. I need to get the hell off Long Island and soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

B2: Of Monsters and Gygaxian Wisdom

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything on this blog, and I apologize. The last six months have been a whirlwind of acti...