Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sturmgard - Finalizing Plans for Basic

I'm in the beginning stages of the Thuin Conversion Project. I'm basically taking the skeleton of my old campaign and fleshing it out as a Basic/Expert Campaign module written in Old School fashion as a true dungeon adventure. The world is getting a facelift as well, being converted to a more old school format to function as both a Basic Dungeon and Expert Wilderness setting. I'm changing some names, adding in OD&D sub-classes, and separating race and class. In essence, all the changes that make D&D into AD&D without all the wacky and unnecessary rules of AD&D. Spells will be simple and quick, combat should run fast and easy, and the party can enjoy a good old-fashioned dungeon crawl without the need to worry about exterior plots, exorbitant training costs, or unnecessary restrictions to their enjoyment. I hope to get a full group to play test the dungeon soon. I've kept the 1st level map and changed some of the monsters to more closely fit the Basic rules, but I've completely reworked the lower levels as something different. The premise of the adventure remains intact and could have world repercussions if the party passes the "Test of the Riddlemaster" (adventure name).

I'm removing most of the names and references to Thuin, keeping the NPCs the same with some alterations (mostly cosmetic), and perhaps converting the PCs from the Thuin campaign into NPCs to interact with the PCs as trainers or healers. The campaign will NOT be sponsoring half-breed races of any sort (no half-elves or half-orcs allowed). Races allowed are Human, Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit, and possibly Gnome. Classes include Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Magic-User, Illusionist, Thief, Assassin, and Bard. Monks have no place in this campaign. Multi-classing functions similar to the way Elves were made to function in D&D. In essence, you have ONE level to advance, but you need to add together the level requirements for all your classes to make a level. Therefore, if you were a Fighter/Magic-User you would need 4,500 XP to make 2nd level. I may or may not work with level limits, instead charging demi-humans a 10% penalty for their special abilities. Therefore, a single class dwarf Fighter would require 2,200 XP where a human Fighter requires only 2,000 XP for 2nd level. Multi-classed demi-humans have no 10% penalty to XP, since they will be slowed enough in their advancement. I was toying with allowing only humans to benefit from XP bonuses, but I decided not to go that route since I would be enforcing abilities rolled with 3d6 and assigned in the order rolled. This makes those sub-classes rare and valuable. In fact, I want to run the entire game as written in the Basic/Expert rules, with only the minor adjustments listed above. The setting of Sturmgard is meant to be "flavor" for the munch and crunch of the adventure itself - focus on the dungeon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

B2: Of Monsters and Gygaxian Wisdom

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything on this blog, and I apologize. The last six months have been a whirlwind of acti...