Thursday, February 21, 2013

AD&D: Past Errors in Thuin

My original homebrew campaign, Thuin, was originally written in 1st edition AD&D rules, later converted to 2nd edition AD&D rules, and most recently converted to 3.5 edition D&D rules. The premise of the world was failing magic, rise in barbarism, and an encroaching ice age all in the backdrop of a World War between the Dolestrian Empire to the east and the Sorlonian Kingdoms to the west. Most of the action occurred in one area of the world (the Sturmgard land bridge) and most of the careers of the adventurers were spent in one dungeon (my so-called Test of the Dungeon Master, later re-named Dungeon of Mystery). I committed several errors in the dungeon design which I realize need to be corrected if I'm ever able to salvage the campaign.

The first mistake I made was accessibility. The dungeon was hidden under a kobold mound in the forest, taken over by orc invaders from the mountains. Once the characters entered, the stairs formed a trap keeping them there until they could solve the riddle of the dungeon (which they never did). From here it was a linear plot of find the clues to get to the next level, survive the traps and monsters placed to test the characters and gain them levels, until they got to the lowest level and solved the mystery of why the place existed in the first place. After a few years of running this adventure the party only got to level 3, started playing on the Corridors of Portals which transported them to lost world locations elsewhere on the globe, and then gave up and went into the wilderness after finding a way out of the dungeon. We had the largest group of people ever playing D&D at that time (I believe it was 6 of us), but that soon fractured and, in the end, we ended the campaign on a sour note because I was just tired of lugging a collection of minis and heavy books everywhere I went. I was also running 3 other games at that time and the work was not worth the effort.

I have since amended my dungeon design so that the dungeon is more accessible. No longer will the players feel that need to move ever forward, complaining about how they have to find a way out soon. It might work well for television series, not so much for casual gaming. The setting has to remain robust despite the rules used. The new dungeon will have multiple entrances and exits, allowing more freedom of movement and make more sense for some larger creatures to exist in the lower levels.

I have a feeling that I want to expel the "drow" from the world. I added these creatures under pressure from one of the players so he could play the "one Good-aligned drow ranger." Damn Bob Salvatore and his evil ways! Anyway, they are being replaced by my intelligent spiders who are all spellcasters and resemble the aranea or perhaps the Nerubians from World of Warcraft. I was also thinking of using the chitines from DUNGEON adventures or some other races of spellcasting creatures like those wacky six-armed extra-planar spellweavers from later editions. They make more sense than importing those over-used elves into the world again. This requires some reworking of past characters, to be sure, but I'm sure Bruce wouldn't mind.... :)

The other big mistake I made affected the players more in later editions. The Council of Twilight was a group of mages tasked with making sure that magic is kept in the hands of those with the knowledge of how to use them properly and for the good of the world. The mages were persecuted when one of the Sykonian mages allowed demons into the world and started the Demon Wars. It has been centuries since the demons were expelled, but wizards are still mistrusted. They were supposed to gather up lost magic items and return to Sykon with them to be catalogued, examined, and possibly duplicated. This was problematic since the party would be required to hand over any magic items to the party mage who then would disappear with them. It never happened that way in the game, but then Joey was the resident mage who wanted to do nothing more than throw fireballs around and blow up the party. This was poor planning on my part. I've since amended this to only requiring mages to report artifacts left over from the Demon Wars and to report the presence of any surviving demons that escaped banishment. In essence, the wizards of the world become extraplanar border patrolmen.

The high level part of the campaign was supposed to introduce a few powerful artifacts into the campaign, the location of the last heir of Parthavia, and the release of magic back into the world. The players never stuck around long enough to get to that part of the campaign so I could never see if it would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B2: Of Monsters and Gygaxian Wisdom

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything on this blog, and I apologize. The last six months have been a whirlwind of acti...